29 October 2007

2007 World Champion Boston Red Sox


Well, I've had most of a day now to digest the Red Sox winning yet another World Series. This is still stunning to me. Five years ago I was skeptical that they would win a World Series in my lifetime and if someone would have told me that by 2008 they would have 2 World Series under their belt, well, I would assume that this person was (a) insane or (b) a time traveler (or (c) both). Yet, here we are. On one hand, the 2007 edition wasn't as cathartic as the 2004 edition, but on the other hand, the 2007 edition was more satisfying because of the amount of homegrown talent the Sox used to get here. I mean, we saw 6 rookies play important roles for the Sox in this series: Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Manny Delcarmen, Jon Lester, Hideki Okajima and Daisuke Matsuzaka (yes, I know the last two played in Japan. Whatever). This is in stark contrast to the old folks of the 2004 team. I really like what the future holds for the Red Sox now, even with less-than-exciting contract such as J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo - who did, mind you, kick it up several notches in the playoffs. Next year we can look forward to a rotation that might be Josh Beckett (the new Curt Schilling), Matsuzaka, Clay Buchholz, Lester and Tim Wakefield. Can't complain about that. And with a closer like Jonathan Papelbon, the type of closer the Red Sox have never had, with the killer pitches and lunatic mentality, they could be set for a few years to come. This is an exciting time to be a Red Sox fan and whether you like it or not, we'll be showing up at your ballparks in droves next season yet again.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

That might be the coolest picture of a Red Sox player ever. Like, ever ever.

biglou said...

And believe you me, plenty of us are not looking forward to seeing more Red Sox fans in our ballpark.