01 June 2006

Shuffle of the Day 16 - "Using the Apostate Tyrant as His Tool" by the Kronos Quartet


If there is one achilles heel I have in music, its classical music. Honestly, I know so little about it that its not funny. My classical collection consists of this: (1) Holst's The Planets because John Williams stole so many of his scores from this work, it sounds like a movie score; (2) Mozart's Brandenburg Concertos because Douglas Adams ranted and raved about them in The Salmon of Doubt; (3) Longines Symphonette on 6 disc LP because its mentioned in They Might Be Giants' "Birdhouse in Your Soul" and; (4) the Kronos Quartet. I have a few by the Quartet, and I quite like them. I first found them thanks to my friend Jeff Bolas who played "Sing, Sing J. Edgar Hoover" on my old college radio station WCFM and through the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack done with Clint Mansell (formerly of Pop Will Eat Itself). I chanced upon their album of medieval/early music Lachrimae Antiquae at the local public library and quite enjoyed all the odd string arrangements they performed. And that's it. That's my knowledge of classical. It's sad, but what can I say? I grew up with rock and roll, and I someone once said (it was either about classical or opera) something to the effect of "if you weren't born loving classical music, you can't really ever learn to do more than appreciate it". So that's where I am.

-----

No comments: