21 February 2006

Simulations and new singles

So, I've run my 100 simulations of the 2006 baseball season on Baseball Season. I'll run it again when we get closer to the regular season. If you want to see the results, I posted a pdf. I'll have more comments in the future, but it looks like New York (both teams) have the best shot at the World Series. Oakland may get more competition from Texas than Los Angeles. Cleveland seems to be underappreciated in the sims, as they are predicted to be merely .500. And the Red Sox don't look to be winning a World Series in 2006. Hmmm.

A few quick reviews:
When You Wasn't Famous - The Streets: Brilliant. Mike Skinner has somehow made highlands hip-hop that is so catchy it kind of makes me ill. 9/10
Gold Lion - Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Sometimes I worry that the YYYs are the 00's equivalent to No Doubt. I think they have a little more musical credibility, but would you be that surprised to see Karen O pull a Gwen Stefani? Anyway, "Gold Lion" is really polished and put together and bound to be a hit, yet somehow lacks a spark. Hmmm. 7.9/10
*edit* - I figured it out! This song sounds like a lost Love & Rockets song!
You Have Killed Me - Morrissey: He surely does like melodramatic titles, eh? Its actually pretty similar, musically, to his work on You are the Quarry, but I'm a sucker for Moz, so I like it anyway...but what the heck language is Moz trying to sing? 7.5/10

Two new TIG reviews:
Field Notes - Color of Sunshine
The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun
(weird, both "sun" albums)

Also, some good new albums include: Invisible Eyes - Laugh in the Dark (thanks to TGIF), Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat (she covers the Travelling Wilburys for chrissakes), Aceyalone with RJD2 - Magnificent City (TGIF will report back on this one)

No comments: