05 May 2006

Busy day

Ok, well, first things first. The proposal I wrote with the faculty I will be working with in Davis didn't get funded, yet again, by the National Science Foundation. This time, it was fundable, they just ran out of money before they got to it. It makes me wonder, what exactly does it take to get funded these days? Everyone I know gets turned down, but someone has to be getting that money. Who? And where? I mean, what kind of profession requires that your workers need to go out and find their own money to do the work you want them to be doing anyway (i.e., research at a university). The system is ridiculous. Add in the fact that everyone wants you to have postdoc experience, yet no one wants to pay you to be a postdoc (I've lucked out), you begin to wonder if they might as well cut to the chase and say that all recent Ph.D. need to do a year of indentured servitude before they can apply for real positions. My friends, I love geology and teaching, but if you want a stable life that doesn't drive you mad and isn't stacked against you most of the way, don't do academics.

Well, thats my rant for the day. I guess I don't handle rejection well, and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and I won't take it anymore. Blah.

Anyway, I seem to have taken over TIG lately, so here is a new review Islands - Return to the Sea.

And the weekly iPod top 10!
10 I Will See You in Far Off Places - Morrissey
9 Blue Light (Engineers Anti-Gravity Mix) - Bloc Party
8 Emily Kane - Art Brut
7 The Ballad of the Sin Eater - Ted Leo/Pharmacists
6 The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living - the Streets
5 Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby - Islands
4 Can't Con an Honest John - the Streets
3 Like U Crazy - Mates of State
2 Y.M.M.W.D.S.B. - Mon Frere
1 Walk Through the Fire - Cast from Buffy the Vampire Slayer*

* = this may be the last week for Buffy before she's retired. Right now she doubles the playcount of #2. Ah well.

1 comment:

biglou said...

I wish it was just academics, but many of the positions that I saw in Seattle, Portland, and Champaign-Urbana all wanted someone with several years experience to step right into a project. No one seemed to want to give a new employee the requisite experience, everyone wanted someone with experience on another company's dime. It gets pretty frustrating.