22 May 2006

Shuffle of the Day 10 - "There is No-One That Will Take Care of You" by Palace Brothers


There is really nothing like bleak bleak Will Oldham for a bleak bleak Seattle morning. Here we are, almost into June, and we still have to put up with grey, cold, wet mornings. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm pretty excited to leave Seattle (although I am very fond of the city). I have to admit, amongst the Palace Music/Brothers ouevre, this is one of the lesser known songs to me, and its not as totally bleak and stripped down as "(End of) Travelling" or "I Am a Cinematographer", but there is something captivating and haunting about Oldham's ever-crackling vocals. It sounds like, no matter what he's singing, he's pouring his heart and soul out to you, the listerner. Heck, he could probably sing "Yummy Yummy Yummy I've Got Love in My Tummy" and still sound like someone had recently broken his heart, kicked his dog and slashed his tires. He's just got one of those voices, a voice perfect for a dreary morning when you just didn't get enough sleep the night before to justify being up so early.

-----

New Review on TIG: The Rogers Sisters - The Invisible Deck

-----

No comments: