15 May 2006

Shuffle of the Day 5 - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Keane & Faultline


On the whole, I don't care for Elton John. Yet, if I hear an Elton John song performed by someone else, I like the damn thing, like the version of "Your Song" from Moulin Rouge or Me First & the Gimme Gimmes cover of "Rocket Man". The same can be said about Keane & Faultine's pretty much note-for-note cover of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". I don't particularly care for Keane and Faultline had one real good song ("Where Is My Boy" with Chris Martin of Coldplay), but they capture the melancholy nature of this song of loss. Maybe I like this song so much these days because thats kind of how I feel these days I as grope around for a direction for the future. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" seems to convey that loss of direction that I've been feeling. Not that I really lack direction, on the contrary, I know exactly where I'm going physically, but it doesn't seem to temper the feeling that part of me is still seeking an anchor or at least a compass of some sort. Of course, being 29, maybe I'm asking too much to have both my professional and personal life in order like so many ducks in a row, but hey, one can dream, right?


-----
So, Friday I meant to skip work and have fun. Instead I skipped work and got, well, sick. So no entry on Friday. Luckily, I seem to have mostly recovered from my malady. I spent a lovely weekend watching episodes of Newsradio, the most underappreciated show ever, along with two great movies: Ghost World and Night of the Hunter. If Robert Mitchum isn't the creepiest preacher ever, I don't know who is (and in rewatching Nigth of the the Hunter, I realized where a lot of the the inspiration for the Caleb character on BtVS was derived.)

-----

Here is last week's iPod top 10
10 Blue Light (Engineers' Anti-Gravity Mix) - Bloc Party
9 Emily Kane - Art Brut
8 Ballad of the Sin Eater - Ted Leo/Pharmacists
7 Jogging Gorgeous Summer - the Islands
6 The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living - the Streets
5 Your Kisses Are Wasted on Me - the Pipettes
4 Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby - the Islands
3 Like U Crazy - Mates of State
2 Can't Con an Honest John - the Streets
1 Y.M.M.W.D.S.B. - Mon Frere

-----

Here is a new double review on TIG: Built to Spill - You in Reverse/Quasi - When the Going Gets Dark

-----

No comments: