06 January 2006

Buffy, Firefly and Whedonverse

So, Big Lou, as usually, has introduced me to new ways to be nerdy. I've been watching Firefly, the short-lived Fox sci-fi/drama that was created by Joss Whedon (who also brought us Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel). Now Firefly is darn good, much more so that I initially expected. Very likeable characters (even if Jayne looks like Mark McGwire). interesting plots and, as usual for Joss, really sharp writing. So, in my usual if-I-like-something-immerse-myself method, I read up on Joss and he's quite a character. My two favorite Joss quotes are "Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck." and his explanation of a "comfortador", a.k.a a guy (like Buffy's Xander) that wants comfort more than sex out of women. I think I find myself being much more of a comfortador than a conquistador, which I suppose is hard to convey to lady of interest without sounding like a, well, nut. Ah well. But tip-o-the-hat to Joss on continuing to make excellent shows that seem to get cancelled. Darn.

No comments: