25 November 2006

Yet again with the Riley


I'd have to say, Riley Finn from BtVS has, over the course of the last year, gone from a character that I was strongly indifferent towards to one I wholly connect with. It is very odd, but I constantly feel like I play the role of Riley to all my Buffys. Oh lordy, that was an odd sentence. Sorry ...

Anyway, I was watching some Buffy, as you do, and this stretch of dialogue just reinforced my belief of my own Riley-ism...

Buffy: It's just... different, you know? A picnic. First of all, daylight ... kind of a new venue, Buffywise. And the best part: he said he would bring all the food, so all I have to do was to show up and eat. Those are two things I'm really good at.
Willow: So he's nice?
Buffy: Very, very.
Willow: And there's sparkage?
Buffy: Yeah. He's ... have you seen his arms? Those are good arms to have. I really like him. I do.
Willow: But...?
Buffy: I don't know. I really like being around him, you know? And I think he cares about me... but... I just... feel like something's missing.
Willow: He's not making you miserable?
Buffy: Exactly. Riley seems so solid. Like he wouldn't cause me heartache.
Willow: Get out. Get out while there's still time!

Wait Erik, thats not bad, right? Yes and no. However, it proves the point: girls don't get as fiery about guys who are stable and won't cause heartache.

Buffy goes on to say...
I can’t help thinking, isn’t that where the fire comes from? Can a nice, safe relationship be that intense? I know it’s nuts but, part of me believes that real love and passion have to go hand in hand with pain and fighting.

Bah! Drama, you suck!

1 comment:

biglou said...

See, I was having this discussion with a "friend", and I mentioned how bothered I was by the idea that stable = lack of passion. I feel like there are things that I am passionate about, but I refuse to trample rough-shod over everyone else's feeling in order to force my views on them. But some people really like the roller-coaster, I guess. I like a ride that lasts more than 37 seconds, myself.